Sunday, September 7th is National Grandparents Day. The day was originally created to encourage companionship among the lonely elderly in nursing homes and to motivate grandchildren to tap the wisdom of their grandparents. Youth were also urged to “adopt” a grandparent, not just for one day a year, but rather for a lifetime. In 1978, the first Sunday after Labor Day was declared National Grandparent’s Day by President Jimmy Carter.
There are tons of things to do to celebrate this special day with grandparents and grandchildren. Here are a few:
- Spend time in the kitchen – You know those recipes that you’ve always wondered how to make, take the day to cook or bake and learn the secret ingredient.
- No parents allowed – Time spent between just grandparents and grandkids takes on a whole different dynamic when parents aren’t around. Ask questions about each others lives, both past and present, to grow closer and get to know each other better.
- Have a craft day – Most retired people have hobbies they can share with their grandkids, i.e. woodworking, sewing, drawing or painting.
- Go on an outing – Visit a museum, go fishing or have a picnic.
If you’re looking for things around Nashville to do, here are a couple of local events celebrating grandparents day:
- The Sam Davis Home – September 7th. Kids can bring their grandparents for a guided tour of the 1810 house, a self-guided tour of the museum and more. Bring a picnic to enjoy in the backyard. One free admission per grandparent who is accompanied by a paid child or adult.
- The Lucky Ladd Farms – Enjoy FREE admission for up to two grandparents with purchase of any full-price general admission ticket. Mention “Grandparents Day” at Lucky Ladd Farms Admissions to redeem this discount. Offer valid only on September 6th, 2014.
There are lots of ways to spend the day together. The most important thing is to be together, enjoying each other’s company and bonding. While grandparents enjoy getting gifts, they really enjoy spending time with their grandkids.
Advance Financial would like to wish everyone a Happy Grandparents Day. If you have financial needs this Grandparents Day, remember we’re always here to help, 24/7/365.